The government has provided additional funding of £150 million per annum for the last three years to improve provision of PE and sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and must be spent on PE and sport provision.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to choose how they do this.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles;
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement;
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport;
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport.
We use the funding in a variety of ways. Please view the following document for further information: